The Brotherhood (and Sisterhood) of 'The Life.'

A blog from the Student Life Department of the Word of Life Bible Institute, Owen Sound Campus.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Student's Testimony

I grew up in a Christian home, went to church and youth group but only had a religion not a relationship. Around my friends I was completely different then at home, I got into the wrong crowd and started doing all the wrong things, I went through some really hard experiences and I ended up getting bitter with my parents because even though they weren’t aware of what I was doing the guilt I was feeling turned to anger towards them.

  My viewpoint became “the less I am home the better.” When I turned sixteen I decided to choose my life I had with my friends over the one I had when I was with my family and moved out. I stayed at a few different places, couch surfing and completely living for myself, My relationship with my siblings and parents diminished. I knew what I was doing was wrong because of the way I had been brought up but I made sure I was never sober enough to feel guilt or conviction. My dad sent me away to a camp for two weeks to try and help me get sober and it was there that I finally had the realization that I am a sinner and I needed to be saved.


When the two weeks where up and I returned to my hometown unfortunately I relied on myself more then God and ended up getting back into some of the things I had done before, I used the excuse God made these things for a purpose. But thankfully I was convicted to stop doing chemicals. That August I hit an all time low, I saw where my life was heading and instead of relying on God to help change me again I relied on myself to fix it, I overdosed in an attempt on my life. After being in the hospital for a few days I moved in with my boyfriend thinking maybe that way I would feel some fulfillment. I continued to live a godless lifestyle but still proclaimed to be a Christian. But God wasn’t done with me; He gave me a literal way of seeing that if we proclaim that Christ is in us we need to live like He is in us and fulfillment only comes through Him.( Galatians 2:20)

   I got pregnant. Instantly having to change my lifestyle because of my child being in me was a revelation to me as how we as Christians should change our lives because Christ is in us. I started attending church again and rekindled my relationship with my family and Christian friends. I attended Word of Life Snowcamp and rededicated myself to purity, Now that my faith in Christ was becoming a priority, my relationship with the world was dwindling, In May my son was born and the following February his father and I were separated simply because he was of the world and I was trying my hardest not to be. (1 John 2:15-17)

 Since I have moved back home my faith has continued to grow and I’m excited to see what God has in store for my future, Even though situations may look hopeless if we have faith in God He brings us hope. Being pregnant at sixteen was no one’s idea of perfect but I have the special blessing and privilege of looking into the face of God’s grace everytime I hold Gryphon, God turned my ashes into beauty and has truly set me free, and I’m reminded that God’s plan is the perfect plan and just as He promises He works everything out for good (Jeremiah 29:11)


 I realized also that I need to have a good foundation for me and for my son so I decided Word of Life would be a good place to get a rounded biblical education and instill good habits. Everyone here has been so accommodating to my situation and so thank you very much.
One of my favourite bible passages is 1 Corinthians 5:17.

      “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation,

                                         old things have passed away,

                                                               All things have become new”

No comments:

Post a Comment