The Brotherhood (and Sisterhood) of 'The Life.'

A blog from the Student Life Department of the Word of Life Bible Institute, Owen Sound Campus.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Learning the Word: Hosea

From WOLBRANOS

Todd Kinzer is an alumnus of WOLBI. He graduated from the BI in 1998-99 before finishing his Bachelors degree at Baptist Bible College. He has an MDiv and ThM from Capital Bible Seminary. In 2006, Mr. Kinzer became Dean of Men at the NY campus. In addition, he has also taught Bible electives in Personal Disciple Making and Hosea as well as periodically filling in for resident lecturers in Bible Survey. This is his second year teaching Hosea here at WOLBI Owen Sound.

Mr. Kinzer was reminded as he taught last week that,  "Chapter 11 is one of my favorite sections of Hosea. I identify personally with it as God demonstrates His unrequited love for His people. I so often fail to appreciate and live in light of God's love for and faithfulness to me. Yet despite Israel's consistent rejection of God's love, He responds by saying,

"How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel?...My heart churns within me; My sympathy is stirred. I will not execute the fierceness of My anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim for I am God and not man., the Holy One in your midst..." (11:8-9).

God does not give up on His people even if His love takes on harsh, disciplinary tones to bring His people back to Him. Hosea portrays both the dark, depths of sin to which Israel had stumbled and simultaneously God's unswerving love and faithfulness to His promises and to His people. Each time I am in Hosea, I unfortunately see myself but also find myself in awe of a God who would be so holy and just but also so loving and merciful to those who deserve only condemnation. Father, guard me against a hardened and calloused heart and by your grace, spur me on to faithfulness that you so tenaciously model for me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment