The Brotherhood (and Sisterhood) of 'The Life.'

A blog from the Student Life Department of the Word of Life Bible Institute, Owen Sound Campus.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Learning the Word: Daniel a book of prophecy

From WOLBRANOS

Mr. Doug Reider was born in Pennsylvania and grew up in the Washington, DC, area. He received a BS in Electrical Engineering from George Washington University and his Master of Divinity from Capital Bible Seminary. He also served as Assistant Pastor at Fellowship Baptist Church in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Desiring to be a missionary in Eastern Europe, Mr. Reider attended Word of Life Bible Institute’s 2nd year and was accepted as a missionary to Poland. While raising support, he met another missionary heading to Poland and they were married in 1993. Because of medical difficulties, Mr. and Mrs. Reider moved to Owen Sound to head up the Bible Institute project in 2000.
It is sweet to have one of our very own resident professors (Mr. Reider also teaches Systematic Theology -throughout the Academic year-, Homiletics, & Greek) teaching us the book of Daniel.  It is a book full of prophesies and is awesome to see God fulfill His promises and to know that He will continue to keep all of His promises.  It was great to learn so much about this significant and controversial book!


"Teaching the Book of Daniel has been amazingly fun for me. It’s odd how things I already know can sometimes strike me in a wholly new way. For example, reading Daniel 9 really hit home. In 9:2, Daniel describes how he is reading the prophet Jeremiah. Apparently, he is reading Jeremiah 29:10-14, where it is written…

“For thus saith the LORD, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place. 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the LORD; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.”

Daniel then immediately prays, confessing Israel’s and his own sins. What struck me is how often I fail to do the same. I read Scripture but fail to immediately turn to the Lord and discuss with Him how it applies to me. I expect the Lord to communicate to me through His Word, but my prayer often fails to reflect that. My prayer can be disconnected from what His word is teaching. Let’s put the two together. Read God’s word, rehearsing what we see needs to change by bringing it up immediately in prayer with Him. Without a two way conversation—no wonder our prayer life can sometimes feel very “dead”."


"Daniel is such a great example of how we are supposed to act and stand up for God in an ungodly world."


NW

No comments:

Post a Comment